Driving Abroad

General guidance

The government/EU supported websites below give guidance about driving abroad and should be consulted before travel:

UK Government: www.gov.uk/driving-abroad

Clean Air Zones, Low Emission Zones, Congestion Charging and Urban Traffic Restrictions in Europe: https://urbanaccessregulations.eu/

Driving in France - the official Crit'Air government website is here (for buying the emission discs) - beware of other sites charging inflated prices: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

For Towing A Trailer overseas, please see here

MoT requirements for 'Historic Vehicles'

Most recent update: May 2023

Some time ago we sought confirmation from the Department for Transport, that the MOT exempt status of historic vehicles (HVs) would be accepted on the continent if owners took them overseas (see FBHVC News No. 4, 2021). To date [May 2023] we have not received a departmental response, even after hasteners.

Our considered view then was that in law the visited country should accept the HV status of the vehicle and not demand evidence of testing. We cannot see any reason why that position would have changed and we have received no anecdotal evidence to suggest there is a problem.

However, we also considered that a voluntary test would be a wise precaution for two principal reasons. The first is to provide a degree of reassurance that the vehicle is fit for the journey and has no obvious issues. The second is that in the event of an accident, there is some supporting evidence that the car had recently been found roadworthy by an independent source. 


For anyone travelling to or through Germany we refer you to the  downloadable document at the bottom of this page.

We are very grateful to the ADAC, the FIVA ANF for Germany, for their support in explaining the required process for historic vehicles over 30 years old travelling through their low-emission zones.  

British enthusiasts should ensure they carry a copy of their V5C indicating the age of their vehicle and when parking in a low-emission zone they should also display on the inside of their windscreen, or other visible place, a copy of their V5C which shows date of first registration and [taxation class] Historic Vehicle and therefore proves an age of 30 years or more.


Going to Le Mans?  - Travelling in France 2023
Many members will be travelling to France this summer for the Le Mans 24 and the Le Mans Classic and of course many will be driving across in their cherished classic.

Like other EU countries you are required to carry a copy of your V5C as it shows the registered keeper and importantly, the age of the vehicle. The age is important as France, like many countries, are introducing ‘Clean Air Zones’ that restrict access to vehicles that do not comply with emission regulations.

These zones are increasing in number, and in Paris they have been in place for a while and Rouen has followed suit this year with murmurings that Le Mans might well follow.

Our colleagues in the Fédération Française des Véhicules d'Époque (FFVE) are working with the EU to provide clarity in this matter but unfortunately the information is unlikely to be in place by June or July.

After searching a number of websites, contacting insurers and motoring organisations, it is evident that different towns may apply different rules.

If you are travelling down from the Calais area and were intending following the main A16/A28 route to Le Mans, you will go through Rouen, right through the centre of an exclusion zone. 

A French member of the Marcos Owners Club, has offered the following information…

French enthusiasts are able to apply for a Carte grise véhicule de collection for vehicles over 30 years old, and they are able to drive through Rouen and not be penalised. Pre-1993 cars currently have a permanent waiver. Please view the following link for more information
https://www.ffve.org/IMG/pdf/arrete-zfe-rouen-.pdf    Pages 3 and 4 are apparently the important ones and specifically paragraph 2.

It is important to take a printed copy of your V5C registration document when travelling in France. For cars built after July 1993 onwards, your best option would be to travel through Yvetot this year.

We thank the Marcos Owners Club for the above information.



Plaketten Ausland Englisch.pdf

Join our newsletter

Keep up to date with our latest news!

Legislation, Fuel & more
Heritage & Culture
Museums & Archives
Trade & Skills
Contact Us

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on our website. However, if you would like to, you can change your cookie settings at any time.