National Motor Museum, Beaulieu
The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu opened in 1972 and was the UK’s first major museum dedicated to motoring. It is home to around 285 vehicles and a collection designated as being of outstanding importance.
The Museum was the vision of Edward, Lord Montagu who first set up a small display of vehicles in Palace House, his ancestral home. By 1956, this display had grown and was moved into converted wooden outbuildings to create the first Montagu Motor Museum. By 1972 a national museum of motoring finally came a reality, alongside the National Motor Museum Trust, an independent charitable organisation.
Today the National Motor Museum Trust continues to run the National Motor Museum and care for its Collections. The onsite Collections Centre houses a vast collection of objects, photographs, books, film and archives associated with motoring in Britain. Through these world-class collections the National Motor Museum works towards its vision of engaging and inspiring people with the story of motoring.